Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Grandma Arlene's Frosting September 19, 2011

For my birthday I wanted to make my own cake mainly for this frosting! My grandma makes the most amazing frosting. Not many have conquered the technique but I'm happy to say that I do a pretty good job of making it. You can make chocolate like I did this time, or caramel. There is also Grandma Katie Icing that is similar but vanilla flavored with nuts.
Here's the recipe and how to.

Grandma Arlene Chocolate Frosting
2 cups sugar
1 cup cream
2 Tbsp coco powder
1 tsp vanilla
extra cream if needed

Mix sugar, cream, and coco powder in a sauce pan





With the lid on cook over medium heat until sugar is melted. I know this is done when is starts to bubble out of the lid. This is important because if sugar grains fall in it will crystallize.
Let it cook to soft ball candy stage
Take it off the heat and let it cool down. I'm impatient so I put it in an ice bath.
Start stirring, this is always my grandpa's job and now it's John's job too!
Keep stirring and add vanilla until it looks like this, slightly runny but spreadable. If it hardens up add some drops of cream to loosen it
Frost your cake and enjoy!
It's the best frosting ever!!!

No comments: