Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Playing catch up Conference Cake

I receive news e-mails from "Deseret News" and "Mormon Times" with the daily headlines a few weeks before General Conference they were asking for favorite conference food and recipes. Growing up my mom would always make Conference Cake on the Sunday morning of Conference which is actually a coffee or crumb cake but no coffee included. I decided to enter the recipe and it was published on April 1st. I laughed when I saw it and felt famous for a few moments. Click here to see the article. Conference Cake was always looked forward to and now I make it every Conference Sunday. This was such a strong tradition in my home growing up I remember thinking of General Conference as a Holiday and getting so excited for yummy food and two days spent with my family. Following is the excerpt where the recipe was included.


This Conference Cake recipe is one Britta Hughes' mother used to make, along with eggs and bacon or sausage, on conference Sunday. Britta says she likes to double the recipe and use a 13-by-9-inch pan so she can have leftovers.

Conference CakeTopping:1/2 cup sugar1/4 cup flour1/4 cup butter1 teaspoon cinnamon. In a small bowl combine sugar, flour, butter and cinnamon. Mix lightly with a fork, until crumbly. Set aside.

Batter:1 1/2 cups flour2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder1/2 teaspoon salt1 egg3/4 cup sugar1/3 cup butter, melted1/2 cup milk1 teaspoon vanilla. Sift flour with baking powder and salt; set aside.

In medium bowl, with rotary beater, beat egg until frothy, then beat in sugar and melted butter until well combined. Add milk and vanilla. With wooden spoon, beat in flour mixture until well combined

.Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease 8-by-8-inch baking pan. Pour into prepared pan. Sprinkle topping evenly over batter. Bake 25-30 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool partially in pan or on wire rack. Cut into squares. Makes 9 servings.


MMM! Look at that Cinnamon goodness!

1 comment:

Tim and Ashley Tappana said...

Mmmmmm....conference cake :). It seriously look so so delicious! My mouth is watering right now just thinking about it! It's fun to know that I know someone famous! Can I get your autograph on a copy of the Mormon Times? :) Seriously SO cool!